I loved this card from the first time it was played against me (well, maybe not so much the first time). It’s a homewrecker. When Goblins vs Gnomes launched and Mechanicals became a class of cards, it became something even more.
The Demolisher at face value is a rare, 1/4 minion for 3 mana, that does 2 points of damage to a random enemy at the start of your turn. This means it has the potential to destroy a Divine Shield or kill a minion outright–before you even attack. If there is no minion on the board, it will hit the enemy hero in the face for 2!
The strategy: Pretty straight forward. Play the card when you can. It’s an early target for a silence, since it only does 1 point of damage. I like to throw it down when I have at least 1 other threat on the board to my opponent must choose which one to go after. If you can keep the Demolisher on the board it can do a lot of damage and help you lock things down.
Cards that accent it: Taunts and other Mechanicals. You can also buff it with damage and/or health. I will list a few of my favorites:
- Annoy-o-Tron– A 1/2 minion with Taunt and Divine Shield for the low cost of 2 mana.
- Abusive Sergeant– A 2/1 minion with a Battlecry: give a minion +2 attack this turn.
- Cogmaster– A 1/2 Mech that has +2 attack when another Mech is on board.
- Knife Juggler– No synergy, but this card is a high threat and will force your opponent to probably take it out before it takes out the Demolisher.
- Mechwarper– If you are playing Mechs, this guy reduces the cost to play them by (1).
- Youthful Brewmaster– When your Demolisher gets damaged or silenced, this minion can take them out for you to play them again!
- Hobgoblin– When you play a 1-attack minion, give it +2/+2.
- Sludge Belcher– A 3/5 minion with Taunt and a Deathrattle: Summon a 1/2 Slime with Taunt.
- Sunwalker– A 4/5 minion with Taunt and Divine Shield.
- Kel’Thuzad– A 6/8 legendary minion that summons all friendly minions that died this turn.
Those are my favorites. There are lots of other cards that work well with the Demolisher.
Bonus play: Shaman probably have one of the best cards to accent a Mech deck: The Powermace. A 3/2 weapon that has a Deathrattle: give a random friendly Mech +2/+2. Rogues also have a really strong card, the Iron Sensei: at the end of your turn, give another friendly Mech +2/+2.
How to acquire: The Demolisher can be pulled from Original Hearthstone packs or created for 100 dusts.
That’s it for this week. Hope you check out the Demolisher. See you next Friday!