This week’s card of the week comes with an eye on the horizon: The Grand Tournament was announced last week and some of the cards were Pirates. This made me immediately think of the Pirate cards we already have available to us and one in particular: Southsea Deckhand.
On the surface, Southsea Deckhand is a 2/1 common minion. However, if you have a weapon equipped, it gets Charge. Not bad for 1 mana–but wait, there’s more! If you play a rogue or paladin, you have some buffs to add to that.
The strategy: The strategy with this card will vary. Early in the game you can use it for a quick attack, later in the game: a lethal blow. You can buff up the card as I mentioned earlier. You can use a card such as a Youthful Brewmaster or Shadowstep to place it back in your hand. Since it is a very low cost mana card, it works well with many other cards.
Cards that accent it: Obviously, it works best with classes that have weapons and can buff minions. Paladin and rogue are the best two. Hunter isn’t too bad. Warrior is OK but they have their own cards for Charge so you might want to use some beefier minions. Here are some that work really well:
- Avenge– This secret has the potential to buff a friendly minion with +3/+2 when one dies. Your 2/1 Pirate can quickly become a 5/3 force to be reckoned with.
- Blessing of Might– This card buffs attack for +3.
- Sword of Justice– If you are playing the Sword of Justice, it activates the Deckhand’s Charge and buffs it +1/+1.
- Blessing of Kings– Gives a friendly minion +4/+4.
- Cold Blood– Give a minion +2 attack. Combo: +4 attack.
- Gang Up– Shuffle 3 copies of this minion into your deck.
- Tinker’s Sharpsword Oil– Give your weapon +3 attack. Combo: Give a random friendly minion +3 attack.
- Abusive Sergeant– Give a minion +2 attack this turn.
- Young Priestess– Give a random friendly minion +1 health.
- Dire Wolf Alpha– Give Adjacent minions +1 attack.
- Knife Juggler– After you summon a minion deal 1 damage to a random enemy.
- Ship’s Cannon– Whenever you summon a Pirate do 2 damage to a random enemy.
- Raid Leader– Your other minions have +1 attack.
- Shattered Sun Cleric– Give a friendly minion +1/+1.
- Southsea Captain– All your Pirates have +1/+1.
- Stormwind Champion– Your other minions have +1/+1.
Bonus play: If you are playing a paladin or rogue there are many cards to shield or hide the Southsea Deckhand once you buff him up. It’s nice to hit hard once, even better to do it twice! Pirate synergy looks like it will be more of a thing once The Grand Tournament launches in August.
How to acquire: Southsea Deckhand can be found in Original Hearthstone packs or crafted for 40 dusts.
That’s it for this week. Start getting your Pirate force ready maties! See you next Friday!