If you follow me you know, I do my mock draft from the fantasy perspective. This is where I would like the players to go, not where I think they will go. It’s less guessing and more hoping. It fits my style more. So, grab your favorite beverage and let’s roll!
1. Titans- Laremy Tunsil, OT- Mississipi: I know. It’s not a sexy pick. They got their stud QB last year. As a fantasy football guy, I am offense first. There are enough defenses in the league usually. The Titans could really use a RB, but can get that in round 2.
2. Browns- Joey Bosa, DE- OSU: Cleveland, my heart breaks for you. I cannot believe we are going down this road again. Even asking if they should take another QB makes me want to throw up a little in my mouth. Because of this, I am taking the best defensive player. I can’t subject you to another (potential) first round bust at QB. I just. Can’t.
3. Chargers- Jalen Ramsey, DB- FSU: You could make a case that Ramsey is the best player in this year’s draft. He reminds me a little of Sean Taylor. This is a rare case of need and fit.
4. Cowboys-Ezekiel Elliott, RB- OSU: There are lots of RBs in this draft, but only one like Elliott. I know Carson Wentz is the hot name going around, and it would make sense. Put Elliott behind one of the best lines in the NFL and watch him run for 2,000 yards.
5. Jaguars-Myles Jack, LB- UCLA: I am going to be honest here. This is one the few picks I can’t get a feel for. They spent a whole lot of money, including $32 million on RB Chris Ivory. They might be in a position to trade down if the right offer came their way. Otherwise, Jack makes sense. Probably the #1 linebacker before his injury.
6. Ravens- Deforest Buckner, DT- Oregon: This is more of a “I think this team will take this guy” pick. Buckner is in the same mold as Ngata who they lost a couple years ago. Could easily take Hargreaves or an offensive lineman.
7. 49ers- Carson Wentz, QB- NDST: The 49ers could probably take any position here, but QB makes a lot of sense. With Chip Kelley though, he is hard to predict. San Francisco is badly in need of playmakers, they will take the best available, which seems like it should be a QB.
8. Eagles- Jared Goff, QB: California- Interesting that they made a trade to move up from #13 Who could they be targeting? CB? WR? RB? QB? This is going to be interesting to see how it works out. You don’t move up this early unless you have a couple impact players in mind. Perhaps they have positioned themselves to be in line for one of the top QBs, or even Elliott if he should make it this far down.
9. Buccaneers- Ronnie Stanley, OT: Notre Dame- Their line got a little better, but they could use another stud to protect Winston and run the ball.
10. Giants- Shaq Lawson- Giants love taking pass rushers, early and often. They will take whoever they see as the best available. They would probably love to get Ezekiel Elliott, but I do not see him falling this far.
11. Bears- Reggie Ragland, LB- Alabama: Not touted as a highly athletic player, but I have a sneaking feeling they want to solidify the LB corps. They got a couple solid players in free agency, but this would give them that extra something. A fierce front 7. I could see them taking a dynamic pass rusher if they feel one is on the board.
12. Saints- Laquon Treadwell, WR- Ole Miss: The only snag could be if the Eagles pick a WR. I think they moved up from 13 for a very good reason though.
13. Miami- Vernon Hargreaves, CB- Florida: They traded down with the Eagles. This could mean they are taking a player they feel would have been “too high” at #8. Could be Noah Spence. Pair him up with Wake on the other side and that could be a tough combo. Still have Suh on the inside. Look out NFC East.
14. Raiders- Noah Spence, OLB/DE- Eastern Kentucky: Spence could really go anywhere from 10-15. I could see Miami adding a young pass rusher to their already tough D-line.
15. Rams- Eli Apple, CB- Ohio State: The Rams need a lot. I could see them trying to trade out of this pick. I don’t think there would be a QB worthy of the 15th pick here. They lost 2 CBs and signed one, so CB makes sense. They could also use a LB, a DE, a WR, and TE.
16. Lions- Jack Conklin, OT- Michigan State: I went the lazy route and have them taking an O-lineman. I don’t think they try and get Calvin Johnsons’s replacement here unless Treadwell is on the board. Marvin Jones should make a nice complement to Golden Tate. They probably won’t invest a high round pick on a WR, especially in a class that is perceived as “slow” at the position.
Stay tuned for picks 17-31!