Part two of my NFL Mock draft from a Fantasy Football perspective. Let’s get right into it. Also, don’t forget to enjoy the video posted below. As with (1-16), feel free to enjoy your favorite beverage with it!
(Including this song because I love Gone in 60 seconds, but had NO idea that this song was by Moby. Now you do too!)
17. Chargers: Mike McGlinchey, OL: Notre Dame- The Chargers could go offense or defense. I always like to see offensive teams add offense. Rivers and/or the next QB could always use more protection. They have a decent receiving corps, and a great running back. Maybe they could add a young TE, but maybe in R2 or R3. If they go defense, I could see Hughes or maybe a player like Harold Landry.
18. Seahawks: Nick Chubb, RB: Georgia- They will probably go after a CB like Hughes, but they really could use a solid RB to help take pressure off Russell Wilson. Sony Michel or Guice could be more to their liking.
19. Cowboys: Courtland Sutton, WR: SMU- Cowboys need another solid receiver no matter what happens to Dez (and we now know Dez was released). Sutton is a big target, much like Dez Bryant. Pairing these guys (and we now know that won’t happen) could be quite spectacular. That said, a CB, or Edge rusher could appeal to Dallas as well.
20. Lions: Sony Michel, RB: Georgia- The Lions have not rushed the ball even at an average level in the past 8-10 years. With Matt Patricia as the new sheriff in town, they could easily go for defense. However, Patricia could do more with less at that position, and might want to take a year to really feel out the roster.
21. Bengals: Jaire Alexander, CB: Louisville- Bengals need some help on defense. They could probably go several different areas, including a future QB like Mason Rudolpf. Don’t be surprised.
22. Bills: Kolton Miller, OL: UCLA- If the Bills take a QB with their first pick, and still keep this one, they should probably use it to bolster the offensive line. I believe they even traded their starting left tackle at the start of the new league year. Look for them to get help at RB and WR in later rounds.
23. Patriots: Lamar Jackson, QB: Louisville- I’m kind of having fun with this pick. I know Jackson is going somewhere in round 1. Could be really anywhere from 15 to 32 (trade, not the Eagles taking him). The Patriots need playmakers at the WR position, and could use a backup plan for Gronk. I could see them bolstering the defensive backfield. Wouldn’t it be cool for Belichick to grab a player like Lamar, and hand him over to Josh McDaniels? If anyone could do it, those guys could. He’s drafted athletic QBs in the past.
24. Panthers: Derrius Guice, RB: LSU- I think the panthers need a lot more on offense. Another WR, maybe even Greg Olsen’s future replacement. I’m going with consensus on this one, and that seems like running back. Would not be illogical to add another corner to their backfield if they are going best player available. Perhaps the Steelers, or someone looking for a QB, could trade up here.
25. Titans: Arden Key, Edge: LSU- Key is really raw, but has some explosiveness. He might be a year or two off. Whatever he can give the Titans will be much appreciated. Perhaps they might want to get a little younger at tight end. This would be a great year for it.
26. Saints: Hayden Hurst, TE: South Carolina- I’ll be honest, I had a surprisingly hard time with this pick. I could have taken the easy road and said WR. They need a little speed at that position. I also think they could upgrade their O-line, or LB corps. Maybe a raw edge rusher. Then I thought, tight end would make a lot of damn sense. Especially in a year where there are some good ones. That fact could have them looking in round two, especially if they decide to grab a QB for the future.
27. Falcons: DJ Moore, WR: Maryland- I would like to see a solid #2 emerge across the often injured Julio Jones.
28. Steelers: Mason Rudolph, QB: Oklahoma St.- Either the Steelers take him at 28, or someone else (Browns, Giants, or a team trading up) takes him at the top of round 2. I think this guy will be one of the best quarterbacks coming out of this draft. Who better to sit behind, than one of the top QBs in Ben Roethlisberger? Steelers might have to trade up a few picks to get their man.
29. Jaguars: Mike Hughes, CB: UCF- They add another talented CB to pair with Jalen Ramsey, and suddenly that pass rush gets a little better. They could always add another WR to replace the two they lost in free agency, but the money they gave Marquise Lee, and Donte Moncrief might tell they are done with that position.
30. Vikings: Christian Kirk, WR: Texas A&M- Overall team speed, especially on offense. A luxury for a team that has it all. Could also see them going CB, because their defensive backfield isn’t the youngest.
31. Patriots: Mike Gesicki, TE: Penn State- Personally, I think Gesicki drops too many balls, but I have only seen 2 games he played in. The Patriots are very needy in the pass catching department, having lost 2 WRs in the offseason. Factor in Gronk’s possible retirement, seems like TE or WR is the place they go.
32. Eagles: Dallas Goedert, TE: SDSU- Wouldn’t it be neat if the Eagles had a player named ‘Dallas’? I had a hard time deciding between him and running back Rashaad Penny. Penny shined at the Senior Bowl, and would help the Eagles out on offense. Either player would make a lot of sense to me. I could also see them trade down to a team who might want to grab a falling player ahead of the top few in the next round. This draft is pretty deep top 40-48, and the Eagles are still pretty solid as defending champs.
This was a lot of fun to put together. Hope you all enjoyed some of the madness. We’ll see how it all shakes down in less than a week!