I was not feeling this year’s draft until I watched NFL Network’s mock draft. I usually watch the combine more than once, and the same with the Senior Bowl. Having “cut the cord” on satellite TV, I did not have those available. At any rate, I am in “2 minute offense” as I try to scrape together a decent mock. As you know, my mock is from a Fantasy Football perspective, not necessarily a prediction. Grab a drink or a snack, and let’s boogie!
1. Raiders: (from Cardinals) Kyler Murray, QB: Oklahoma- I remember a sound byte of Gruden saying his theory on player stereotypes is totally blown. Does that necessarily mean they move up to get one of the most dynamic offensive players? We shall see. I think the Raiders, and new GM Mike Mayock will be fluid in this draft.
2. 49ers: Nick Bosa, DE: OSU- To me this is an easy choice. The 49ers are still a long way off, and they need to stack talent. They don’t have to rush Bosa, and can let him get into the NFL workout program, and make sure he is healthy.
3. Jets: Ed Oliver, DT: Houston- They Jets are in a fantastic spot in the 2019 draft. They will have their pick of one of the top defensive or non-QB offensive picks. They could easily trade down and still get a great player. I think they go with a DT, or EDGE rusher.
4. Cardinals: (from Raiders) Josh Allen, EDGE: Kentucky- The Cardinals need more than 1 player, and still have Josh Rosen if they want to trade him for a pick. They would probably get one of the Raiders remaining first rounders, and a second round pick in compensation. This allows them a lot of mobility, while picking up a top defensive player.
5. Buccaneers: Dwayne Haskins, QB: OSU- It’s a quarterback driven league. Haskins has the kind of dynamics you would like to see at the top end of the draft. He could easily go at #4 to the Raiders if they don’t trade up, or even the Cardinals if my trade comes through (it likely will not). It could also go to another team moving up.
6. Giants: Devin White, LB: LSU- I could see the Giants make a move for one of the top QBs, or even move down if they think one will slip a little further. Other than that, it’s best player available. I like White as the QB of their defense.
7. Jaguars: Jawaan Taylor, T: Florida- The Jags have been drafting in the top 10 for what seems like the better part of this decade. Their run game sputtered a little, as did the passing game. I’d like to see them bolster the line.
8. Lions: Montez Sweat, EDGE: Mississippi State- They really could use a running back, or a wide receiver, but I don’t think there is one worthy of a high end first round pick this year. Sweat might be a little raw, but has a dynamic upside. The kind of athletic hybrid that fits their defense. Being in the Bears division, I hope they pick a different player.
9. Bills: TJ Hockenson, TE: Iowa- Josh Allen needs playmakers. Whether it is a TE, or a big WR. They could probably trade down to a team that might want to move up to take a QB ahead of the Broncos, or Bengals.
10. Broncos: DK Metcalf, WR: Mississippi- The Broncos have a nice young receiver in Courtland Sutton. Adding Metcalf would be a great compliment for Flacco, who would probably have the best receiving corps of his recent career. Some think Denver will try and draft another QB. I think they will wait until round 2 or 3 if they do go for the future signal caller.
11: Bengals: Drew Lock, QB: Missouri- The Bengals are pretty astute when it comes to replacing starters. Dalton is still the starting QB, but he hasn’t been getting it done lately. I could also see them trading down to a team who might want to take Lock, or a different QB here.
12. Packers: Rashan Gary, EDGE: Michigan State- Green Bay has a lot of holes on defense, and need to find capable pass rushers. They lost Clay Mathews, who’s best years are probably behind them. They could probably use a DT as well. On offense, they might have solved their RB problem, but could use an offensive lineman, and a WR. I could also see them moving down a slot or two.
13. Dolphins: Quinnen Williams, DT: Alabama- The Dolphins are a mess on both sides of the ball. They might be a little further along on offense, but are leaning on journeyman QB, Ryan Fitzpatrick, who both flashed, and flamed out in Tampa Bay. I think 13 is probably a little early to take a flier on one of the remaining QBs, and I’m not sure any QB is worthy of moving up for this year, outside of Murray, who will be a top 1-2 pick. The Dolphins would be better suited to move down, and maybe pick up a high second round pick.
14. Falcons: Noah Fant, TE: Iowa- I think Matt Ryan would love to finally get a playmaker in the mold of one of the top TEs in the league. If for some reason Hockenson drops down, expect the Falcons to run to the podium. Julio Jones isn’t getting any younger. This would open up the field for him, and Calvin Ridley.
15. Redskins: Marquise Brown, WR: Oklahoma- I badly want to project a trade with Arizona for Josh Rosen, but I have little faith the Redskins would pull the trigger. This is the same organization who currently has Colt McCoy, and Case Keenum on their roster. The Redskins are a mess, and have been more often than not during Daniel Snyder’s ownership. HTTR!
16. Panthers: Andre Dillard, T: Washington State- I know tackles are not flashy, but the Panthers badly need to protect Cam Newton, who did his best Andrew Luck impersonation last season. Hopefully Cam’s shoulder, and the rest of him is healed up for 2019. If not Dillard, perhaps a Guard, or different tackle. I could see them adding Greg Olson’s replacement at Tight End too.
Well, that is it for 1-16, look for 17-32 real soon!